Becknell Industrial has been successfully partnering with CORFAC for nearly 20 years. In May 1999, Becknell partnered with Jim Klements–Principal at Weber Wood Medinger and member of CORFAC International’s Cleveland, Ohio’s chapter who represented TRW as a corporate client.
In 1998, TRW secured a contract to supply front-end modules to Chrysler’s Toledo, Ohio plant. The contract required just-in-time delivery and no existing buildings were available that could meet TRW’s needs. The only alternative was a build-to-suit, but TRW would not sign a lease longer than the length of their 5-year contract with Chrysler.
Becknell was the only developer that proposed a 5-year lease term in a competitive bid situation. Becknell’s CEO and President, Dan Harrington, believed in Chrysler’s TRW contract, but more importantly, believed in the functionality of the building should another tenant need to occupy the property. The 61,400 square foot project was completed on time and on budget and was Becknell’s first build-to-suit for TRW Automotive.
To date, Becknell has partnered with CORFAC on seven additional build-to-suit transactions for TRW totaling nearly 700,000 square feet:
- Garrett, Indiana–100,500 square feet constructed in 2000
- Rome, New York–130,100 square feet constructed in 2001
- Romeo, Michigan–2 buildings totaling 101,200 square feet constructed in 2006
- Ontario, Canada–86,000 square feet constructed in 2006
- Ontario, Canada–107,200 square feet constructed in 2015
- Lafayette, Indiana–176,300 square feet constructed in 2008
The CORFAC broker network continues to assist Becknell in land acquisitions & local market studies while Becknell continues to look for new opportunities to collaborate with CORFAC across the United States.